Looking for tasty low-carb lunch or dinner options? This method of roasting chicken is great for a really easy dinner that will impress friends and family members. This recipe produces tender, juicy meat with beautiful golden-brown crispy skin each time.
Chili Orange Roasted Chicken Recipe
Prepare your seasoning mix and cut your orange into slices. You really only need 1-2 wedges. Adding the orange zest will really help to enhance the orange flavor, but you can omit it if you want to save time.
Drizzle olive oil over the butterflied chicken and rub the salt and spice mix into it well.
You can fire up your broiler and crispy up the skin even more if you like it extra crispy. Then just serve with leftover orange wedges. You can add a side salad, some roasted vegetables, or a sweet potato mash.
Time in the Kitchen
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Result: 4 servings
- 5 lb (1.5 kg) butterflied whole chicken (keep the skin on)
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil to marinate with
- 1 chili, diced or 1 teaspoon (1 g) chili powder (optional)
- Juice and zest of 1/2 navel orange (save 2 wedges for serving with)
- 2 Tablespoons (20 g) garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons (30 g) salt
- 1 teaspoon (2 g) pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Marinate the chicken by vigorously rubbing in the olive oil, diced chili or chili powder, orange juice and zest, garlic powder, salt, pepper, all over and underneath the chicken skin. Be careful not to tear the skin. (Do this the night before on best results.)
- Put the marinated chicken on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 45 minutes or until the skin is crispy and golden and the chicken is cooked. Take out and set aside to rest for 5 minutes before serving with orange wedges.